Welcome to Mysooru News

mysore latest news

Yenepoya doctors remove scarf pin stuck in woman’s wind pipe

1 min read

Mangaluru: A 28-year old woman accidentally swallowed a scarf pin and was brought to Yenepoya medical college hospital Casualty at around 3 pm with breathing difficulty and pain in the neck.

After taking X-ray of the neck, doctors could locate the pin in the trachea which had pricked the wind pipe. For further treatment the case was referred to ENT department. The patient was shifted immediately to operation threatre for emergency bronchoscopy.

With the combined efforts of ENT doctors under Dr Deekshith RM (senior resident), Dr Jasim, Dr Amrutha (junior residents) and anesthetist Dr Habib Rahman (Professor) and Dr Aejaz (Assistant professor), the pin was successfully extracted from the bronchus without any complications. The patient was sent home two days after the observation.

Dr Deekshith Rajmohan said “foreign body aspiration though uncommon in wind pipe, at times it is life threatening if not treated immediately. It’s a life saving procedure and challenging for both surgeon and Anesthesist. With the immediate action of treatment and almighty’s grace it was possible to save a life.”

Dr Vijayalakshmi, Professor and HOD department of ENT mentioned, sharp foreign bodies are more dangerous as it can pierce surrounding structures in and around the neck. It can even migrate and technically be more challenging to extract.

– Team Mysoorunews

Mysooru News

Share this