Welcome to Mysooru News

mysore latest news

Seven months after mysterious death, Periyapatna youth’s body brought from Malaysia

2 min read

Mysuru: Nearly eight months after a youth from Periyapatna town in the district drowned at a beach in Malaysia, the mortal remains were received on Tuesday. It came to light on Wednesday.

The body of Sumanth aged 21 years was brought in an ambulance from Trichy in Tamil Nadu to Periyapatna by road in a private ambulance. Within two hours, the remains were cremated at his native Boodhithittu village in Periyapatna taluk.

The authorities from Malaysia informed the family about the coffin containing the body being sent on an aircraft from Malaysia to Trichy in Tamil Nadu. After receiving the information, the family members including Sumanth’s mother Shobha, brother and a relative went to Trichy to collect the body.


Within two hours after bringing the body, the last rites were performed in the presence of close relatives in restricted numbers due to Covid-19 norms in place.

Sumanth who was working in a private company in Malaysia had gone missing on December 17. He was feared drowned in a beach and his body was retrived later.

Mysuru- Kodagu MP Prathap Simha and former MLA H C Basavaraju consoling Shobha mother of Sumanth.

Three days prior to his death, on December 14, he had spoken to his mother over phone where he had informed about returning home, as he had booked a return ticket on December 25. Prior to that, he had also tried twice on December 8 and 15 to return home, but was waiting for his salary. However, he died before embarking on his journey.

According to his mother Shobha who had been crying hoarse suspecting mystery behind her son’s death, had accused tourist agent Manish Patel behind her son’s death.

Patel from Mumbai with whom Sumanth has developed a contact, had promised a plum job in an oil company in Malaysia with a lucrative pay of Rs 80,000 per month. Sumanth who believed in him, paid Rs one lakh as advance against Rs three lakh commission demanded by Patel for arranging the job.

As Sumanth failed to remit the remaining amount, Patel had confined Sumanth to a room in Malaysia only to torture him, it is alleged.

Sumanth was not given a job as promised. He had to be content with a job in a mafia firm for Rs 18,000 salary, Shobha had alleged then.

Though many elected representatives had promised to help Shobha in making arrangements to bring her son’s body home, nobody kept their promise.

Finally, it was Shobha’s steely resolve and a patient wait for seven months that helped her, to pay respects to her son’s mortal remains for one last time.

– Team Mysoorunews

Mysooru News

Share this