Welcome to Mysooru News

mysore latest news

Know your child the best

2 min read

Dr Amulya P Rao

Mysuru: In my previous article, the 1st year milestones of infants were highlighted (https://www.mysoorunews.com/every-parent-must-know-this/).

Now, let’s see what happens between 2 to 5 years of age, as the major brain development takes place during this duration. Let me give a twist here.

This time a list of major concerns (milestones if not achieved) that can act as early signs indicating the risk for communication disorders are provided!

The executive council of Indian Speech, Language and Hearing Association (ISHA) requests each parent to carefully go through this list of concerns and tick those that are true for your child.   

By 2 years –

  • Doesn’t use 2 phrases of words (e.g. “Give water”)
  • Doesn’t know what to do with the common objects like brush, comb, pencil, etc.
  • Difficulty in Imitating actions and words
  • Difficulties in following simple instructions like ‘Get me a spoon’, ‘Point to the fan’, etc.
  • Has unsteady walk

By 3 years –

  • Doesn’t Climb stairs and/or falls while walking
  • Continues to drool and has unclear speech
  • Can’t work with simple toys or puzzles
  • Doesn’t speak in sentences
  • Fails to follow simple instructions
  • Pretend play is absent
  • Fails to make eye contact
  • Doesn’t play with other children or with toys

By 4 years –

  • Can’t jump in place
  • Difficulty in scribbling
  • Disinterested in interactive plays
  • Poor socialization skills
  • Can’t retell a favourite story or describe a picture
  • Fails to follow 3-step commands
  • Doesn’t understand ‘same’ or ‘different’
  • Improper pronoun usage
  • Unclear speech

By 5 years –

  • Fails to show wide range of emotions
  • Poor socialization skills
  • Still dependent on parents for daily routine (brushing, washing hands, dressing, toileting, etc)
  • Unclear speech
  • Fails to use proper tense, gender, and plural markers
  • Can’t give first and last name
  • Difficulty sharing his/her experiences
  • Can’t copy pictures

Ref: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC website

If you feel that any of these above listed concerns are present in your child then immediately consult a Speech-Language Pathologist and/or an Audiologist as it might be an indication of speech, language and/or hearing problem.

If you do not know these professionals then you can look into our previous article by clicking on the link https://www.mysoorunews.com/whom-to-consult-if-you-have-speech-voice-or-hearing -related-issues-read-expert-suggestions/ .

The executive council of Indian Speech-Language and Hearing Association (ISHA) requests all the parents as well as family members to notice for such concerns in your child and take appropriate early intervention from the nearby audiologist and/or speech-language pathologist. For more details on audiologists and speech-language pathologists and where to locate them, log on to www.ishaindia.org.in.

(The author is Research Associate, ISHA, Mysuru)

– Team Mysoorunews


Mysooru News

Share this